Gastointestinal & Hepatobiliary Diseases Part 2: Oral Cavity & Oesophagus
- Modules 6
- Quizzes 6
- Duration 4 hours
- Language English
Module 1. Disorders of the Oral Cavity & Salivary Glands
This module explores the various diseases and disorders of the oral cavity and those pertaining to the salivary glands that are encountered in a patient by medical professionals in the department of gastroenterology, along with their clinical presentation, investigations and management, dealt with in depth.
Module 2. Diseases of the Oesophagus: Gastro Oesophageal Reflux Disease
This module deals with a common disorder of the oesophagus – Gastro Oesophageal Reflux Disease. It is explained thoroughly with emphasis upon the epidemiology, aetiopathogenesis, signs and symptoms, investigations, management and complications of the disease.
Module 3 Diseases of the Oesophagus: Barrett’s Oesophagus
This module talks about a pre malignant and a precancerous state of the oesophagus – Barrett’s Oesophagus. The epidemiology, risk factors, aetiology, pathogenesis, histology, diagnosis, management and poor prognostic factors of this disease have been discussed in detail.
Module 4: Diseases of the Oesophagus: Oesophageal Carcinoma
This module delves deep into the features of Oesophageal Carcinoma. Carcinoma of the oesophagus, being the sixth leading cause of cancer related mortality and the eighth most common cancer worldwide, has been discussed in detail, describing it’s epidemiology, aetiology, pathophysiology, genetics, diagnosis, staging, management and prognosis.
Module 5: Diseases of the Oesophagus: Oesophageal Tumors
This module talks about the epithelial and non-epithelial oesophageal tumors. Epithelial tumors include – Malignant epithelial tumors which are Small Cell Carcinoma and Malignant Melanoma, and Benign epithelial tumors which are Squamous papilloma, Adenoma and Inflammatory fibroid polyp. Non Epithelial Tumors include- Malignant non epithelial tumors that are Lymphoma and Sarcomas (Leiomyosarcomas, Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumors, Rhabdomyosarcoma, Fibrosarcoma, Liposarcoma, Fibrous Histiocytoma, Kaposi’s Sarcoma, Choriocarcinoma), Metastases and Benign Non Epithelial Tumors (Leiomyoma, Granular Cell Tumor, Fibrovascular Polyp, Hamartoma, Hemangioma, Lipoma).
Module 6: Diseases of the Oesophagus: Oesophageal Motility Disorders
The last module in this part deals with the Oesophageal Motility Disorders where the aetiology, epidemiology, pathophysiology, clinical presentation, diagnosis and management of Primary Oesophageal Motility Disorders – Achalasia and Diffuse or Distal Oesophageal Spasm are discussed in detail. The structural issues leading to Oesophageal Dysmotility are also taken up at the end of this module.
- Module 1. Disorders of the Oral Cavity & Salivary Glands
This course on Gastrointestinal and Hepatobiliary Diseases covers almost all diseases and disorders of different parts of the gastrointestinal and hepatobiliary system. The subjects of gastroenterology as well as hepatology are vast and complex, even when considered individually. This course provides the learners comprehensible content on each and every part of the gastrointestinal tract and the liver, its disorders, their presenting complaints, clinical assessment, diagnosis etc with the aim to make an undergraduate learner grasp each and every concept thoroughly and deeply. This course is divided into multiple parts corresponding to the different parts of the system. This is the 2nd part of the course which deals with the disorders of the oral cavity, salivary glands and the oesophagus.
- Diseases of the gastrointestinal and hepatobiliary system are mostly silent until they have significantly advanced in pathology. In such situations it is important for the future medical practitioners to be thorough with each and every sign and symptom which indicates some pathology in the gastrointestinal and hepatobiliary system.
- Patients often neglect or find themselves delaying reporting gastrointestinal issues, often taking them as manageable. Therefore it is important to understand diseases of the gastrointestinal and hepatobiliary system so that the learner may be able to grasp these diseases as well as their complications.
Beneficiaries: UG/PG Students
- The course deals with the most important gastrointestinal and hepatobiliary diseases covered in a way that the learner will be able to relate them with normal physiology and understand the deviation from normal which led to the development of the given disease.
- Each module has been incorporated with the latest advancements and researches in the field of gastroenterology diseases to allow the learner to upgrade the conceptual knowledge as well as update himself/ herself with the latest facts and figures.