Practice of Medicine: Infectious Diseases
- Modules 9
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 9 hours
- Language English
- Streaming In Coming Soon
Module 1 – Presenting Problems in Infectious Diseases
The module takes the learner on a journey into infectious diseases and acquaints her/him with the myriad complaints that people present with, when they are suffering from an infectious disease. This also helps the learner to understand what all can she/he expect in the medical practice and when should she/he suspect an infectious disease.
Module 2 – Viral Infections
This module covers almost all viral diseases which are commonly encountered in the human population. Every viral disease has been dealt with, in great depth covering the causation, pathophysiology, clinical presentation, diagnosis, investigations and the management strategies in detail.
Module 3 – Bacterial Infections
Every human being is susceptible to the infections caused by bacteria which are abundantly found in nature, almost everywhere. Thus, this module acquaints the learner with all common bacterial infections which she/ he can encounter in their medical practice covering their causation, pathophysiology, clinical presentation, diagnosis, investigations and management strategies.
Module 4 – Prion Diseases
Prions are certain proteins with the ability to cause disease in humans. These diseases have been talked about, in this module with the aim of making the learner well versed with these diseases, which though rare, do present themselves in medical practice of a physician.
Module 5 – Bioterrorism
The concepts of war have shifted from missiles and warfare to attack lives and property to spreading infections with an aim to damage life and economy. A physician should be prepared at all times to deal with such diseases. Hence this module throws light upon the concept of bioterrorism encompassing all those infections which have been and which still are, deliberately spread as epidemics and pandemics for ulterior motives.
Module 6 – Protozoal Infections
This module is an extension to the concepts taught in parasitology as some important and common protozoal infections have been discussed along with a brief description of the life cycles of the causative organisms, clinical presentation, diagnosis and management of each disease.
Module 7 – Helminthic Infestations
Helminths form an important category of parasites which infect humans very commonly. Helminthic diseases have been described in this module emphasising upon the life cycle of the causative Helminths, clinical presentation of the disease with their diagnosis and management.
Module 8 – Fungal Infections
This module deals with fungi as the causative organisms of various fungal diseases seen in humans. Each fungal infection has been taken up in detail explaining the clinical presentation, diagnostic investigations as well as the management strategy to tackle the disease.
Module 9 – Clinical Examination of the Febrile Patient
This module takes a practical approach to the concept of Infectious Diseases explaining the learner, the various techniques that are employed to deal with a patient who presents in the clinic with an infectious illness.
- Module 1 – Presenting Problems in Infectious Diseases
The subject of Infectious Diseases has been dealt with in detail emphasising upon the various types of infectious diseases in humans, classified according to their causative organisms like bacterial diseases, viral diseases, prion diseases, and parasitic and fungal infestations . Each type of disease has been covered in a separate module to ensure that every aspect of the disease is carefully taken up and delved into.
- As per WHO stats, emergence of infectious illnesses has caused a significant impact on global health and economics. It is thus important for physicians to understand these infections so that they may deal with them efficiently.
- Undergraduate students are upcoming physicians who are required to study each and every aspect of infectious diseases carefully so that they are judicious while handling these cases in their practice.
- UG_IV Year
Course Benefit :
- The course deals with almost all common and important infectious illnesses in great depth and covers all aspects like aetiology, pathophysiology, clinical presentation and management of these diseases.
- The learner gets to learn about not just the infectious diseases theoretically but also practical aspects like identification of an infectious illness and clinical examination of patients suffering from an infectious disease.